Friday, August 5, 2011

Creativity

I thought that I would share a few of the creative writing pieces I wrote for a class I took in February. Enjoy (or not... it's all about personal preference!)


**Note-- this piece is based off of a sonnet by Ted Berrigan. The exercise was to take the lines of the sonnet and omit or add words where we saw fit, to create something entirely new.**
Shattered Words

Twists and curves among images
Point instead to broken traditions.
Hungering for truth and newness, he faded from sight,
Torn and scattered by imaginative hands

Bright in contrast to other thought weary grins,
Uncertainly sauntering past contemplative frowns--
I am drowning my weariness in gilded laughter.

The gnarled and twisted hand,
Scattered in sorrow, looks cold and dim.
I think, and watch it break, time and again,
Toward images with only one meaning
Shrieking words which nothing else will utter.

The sonnet is not dead,
But words themselves may be, instead.




 **Note-- these two poems are intended to be side-by-side (so the first on the left half of a page, the second on the right) but I can't figure out how to make it do that here. If you want to see it as intended, just let me know, and I'll send a copy via email**
Indicative

Haphazard limbs
and
wayward intentions
crouched, the
Caution-tape-culture-
Flattening against the
horizon

sliding drowsy
and
downward diffused
flailing, the
Anterior-false-antics-
Twisting beyond the
bookshelf

frantic exposure
and
exotic verbs
browbeaten, the
Typical-brainless-tormented-
Shattering buttons tremble
ferocious


Subjunctive

Haphazard limbs and
wayward intentions crouched
against the
Caution-tape-culture,
Flattening against the
horizon

Sliding drowsy and
downward diffused, wildly
flailing, the
Anterior-false-antics-
beyond the bookshelf

frantic exposure and
exotic verbs, browbeaten into
Typical-brainless-tormented-
phrases, shattering connections
ferocious and unstoppable

No comments:

Post a Comment